Thursday, September 11, 2008

Friendly Placemats

I had promised my mother-in-law new placemats for her Fire Island home. I promised her these placemats last summer. I'm a little embarrassed it has taken me this long.



I followed Amy Butler's In Stitches book and boy are they easy! It was perfect. I bought the fabric yesterday and finished 8 placemats today.

I skipped the part of inserting Timtex between the layers. I knew my mother-in-law would want to be able to fold them up and stuff them into drawers.

It worked out perfectly since I bought some heavy duty home decor weight fabric. (Heather Ross's line for Kokka Fabrics from The City Quilter to be exact.) I don't know if she'll find them too cute, but I adore this fabric. Foxes, bunnies and frogs dancing around. What could be sweeter than that?

I just love them, and I bought some extra fabric to play around with. I'm thinking... maybe... a cute tote for Farmers' Market groceries.

2 comments:

montague said...

i have promised too many things i never made! yikes!

i love the fabric you chose for these...

Anonymous said...

What a great idea not to add the Timtex. I made 2 and can't fold them, and have to have to put them in a large cupboard. When I make them again I too will leave it out - Thanks