Sunday, May 20, 2007

Patchwork complete!

I just finished the quilt top to the baby quilt. I'm happy with the result, but it didn't come without a few hurdles. I feel a bit stupid saying this out loud, but I was using the wrong presser foot for about the first quarter of the top. I was assuming that the outside edge of the foot was 1/4". I was wrong. It was more like 3/8", or something more precise in metric. I realized I had a presser foot especially made for patchwork with a 1/4" edge, with a built-in a fabric guide. I mean duh. I did get the Patchwork Edition to a sewing machine afterall. After that, the sewing went much more smoothly and quickly. In the end the minor differences at each seam made the whole top a little crooked. I'll have to square it up before I quilt, I guess.


So, I think I'm going to just use the hot pink Amy Butler fabric for the binding edge. I just ordered a special presser foot from Bernina that can attach the binding in one go. We'll see if I'm coordinated enough to use it. I can't say that I minded the hand sewing to finish the binding. It was very soothing.

2 comments:

PlumStitches said...

Looks great! I love the Heather Ross fabric with the VW bus.

jude said...

i like the way you are using color.