Friday, December 07, 2007

Letting go... a little

Months ago, I started on a long-term project. A king-sized quilt that would have the same layout as the Log Cabin Quilt in the Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts book.

Well, I just realized I was making the blocks "wrong". The finished blocks were supposed to be square and mine were coming out rectangular. Not even worth explaining, but trust me - I'm stoopid.

So, I worked with the blocks I had pieced so far and reconfigured them. My second realization in this odyssey was that the fabric I was using was so light and whimsical and I was creating this very serious, very linear, very geometric log cabin quilt top. Theoretically, I thought it was going to be a nice juxtaposition. But, I was starting to lose sight of the big picture.

I laid out the blocks in a very symmetrical way, but wanted to let the "chips fall where they may". I put them out randomly only making sure it wasn't UGLY, and sewed them together as is.


I really like how the top turned out. Traditional blocks and layout design. Untraditional fabric and color placement. Yay.

Now for the quilt back, and quilting. Hm.

1 comment:

Anabela said...

It's very pretty! I love that you get a nice surprise when you look up close (nesting dolls and horses).

When I started reading your post I thought you were going to say that you scrapped the whole project -- I'm glad you didn't!